Monday, December 17, 2007

Holidays!

That time of year is just about upon us. Here in Toronto its going to be a white Christmas, something I haven't seen for a good decade or more. I couldn't be happier. The snow storm this weekend did not keep me in, in fact, I spent more time outside than I usually do in the summer! The snow brings back a lot of good memories of growing up and spending time with family.

I have many memories of getting that perfect tree. On the second Sunday of December we would go for a "drive" to the Codroy Valley in Newfoundland outside of of my hometown where I grew up. One year we saw the perfect tree to cut down after searching for hours in vain. Unfortunately it was on someones front yard. It was absolutely perfect all around as it was growing in solitude with no other tress near it. The fact it was in someone's front yard made no difference to my dad who jumped the fence and chopped it down. It was the fastest time I saw him take an axe to a tree. It was probably not the proper thing to do but thats what makes it so memorable. I like to think that whoever owned that tree would have been happy that we thoroughly enjoyed it and we still draw on that experience at this time of the year.

Today I have a fake plastic tree only because of fire regulations. Kind of takes the fun and nostalgia out of it. No freshly cut tree smell but its better than no tree at all. The picture to the right is my tree for 2007. Nothing spectacular but what do you expect from two guys!

I ordered my Christmas ham from the butcher on Sunday. Can't wait for that smell to permeate my home. I am having a group of friends together who are all away from home and their families. My "Night of the Misfit Boys" as I usually call it. The ham well be heavily spiced and flavoured with anise, fennel seeds, onion, garlic, fennel, red wine, cinnamon, cardamom and clove. The glaze will be based on red currants. Yum! Of course their well be eggnog, mulled cider, and tons of appetizers from all over the world reflecting the different cultural backgrounds of my friends and partner.

I would love to hear what you are doing or any memories you would like to share.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

JAY! What a beautiful post! It kinda did bring my C.S. back, a little!

Your tree is beautiful!!!


I guess this year I am having a hard time remembering that it is what's in your heart that makes Christmas, not all the other stuff!
Geez...typing that actually made me start to cry and now the screen is all blurry!!! :(

Your new avatar, is that you???

I will be thinking of you for the Night of the Misfit Boys!!! I also sent something for you to use on that night...so hopefully when you are having a great time, and you catch the odd whiff of a nice smell and see the flickers...it'll make you think of the Misfit Girl who is so happy for your wonderful friendship!!!!


I also remembered that it will be your hubby's Bday soon too!
I am sure you have something in the "works"!!!

Jay said...

Yep, thats me. A little disguised,but I realize their are some scary people out there so don't want someone stopping me on the streets. Photoshop has all sorts of cool effects.

I hope in the New Year we will get o travel west across Canada so we can drop by and say Hi!

There will be tons od candles burning here, I saved a few of the purple ones just for x-mas and now I'll have some reddish ones too!

BTW, like my hair cut? It took over a year to grow out. Its all pretty much one length now and textured.

Nicole said...

I would like an actual pic, where I can really see you!!!

I have shown you my fairshare...yuck!!! lol

Hey, did you see the ones I posted on FB of the Girl with criss angel and the ones of my cats???!!

Ps. The ACAI candles are actually white!!! lol go figure!!!

( But I also sent some reddish ones...but SOMETHINGS have to be a surprise!!! lol)

Jay said...

Hubby has the original on his cell phone. I'll get it when he gets home and post it on facebook. Its actually a really poor grainy photo which is the other reason I photoshopped it.

He caught me by surprise as I was leaving the washroom nude. LOL. Notice the lack of shirt. I will crop the one he has before posting on facebook for sure!

Jay said...

My sis wants to see me as well so I have to!